Reasons Not to Upgrade:
- It costs both time and money to upgrade
- Not all extensions are ready for 2.5
- Joomla 1.5 is tested and currently stable
- The longer you wait, the easier it could be to upgrade once developers work the bugs out of the migration systems and components
Reasons To Upgrade:
- All the new features of Joomla 2.5 as outlined here.
- Joomla 1.5 updates are ending in September 2012
- Extension developers are switching focus to 2.5 and are slowing down on 1.5 updates and new development
- Because of the above point, Joomla 1.5 users may lose out on great website features
- Easier to upgrade to future versions (3.0, 3.5, etc)
- Better support for Mobile based Joomla websites
Once you decided that you’d like to upgrade, the next question is whether or not you should simply rebuild the website from scratch or try and migrate all the content from your current version to 2.5. Again, there is not easy answer for this either. It really depends on the website and also which version you’re upgrading from. It also depends on if there are any custom developed extensions, if there are any major changes you’d like to do and what components are available in 2.5
It is highly recommend for anyone upgrading from 1.0 to simply start from scratch and build a brand new website. The migration process to go from 1.0 - 2.5 is a difficult one and may cost more time and money than simply starting fresh.
With all major update releases for Joomla 1.5 stopping in September 2012, there will be a point where you will need to upgrade your website whether you want to or not, otherwise it will be ticking time bomb for hackers. If your website gets hacked, it may cost 20-40 hours or thousands of dollars to get back to normal with the chance of it getting hacked again, very high. Take advantage of the few months you have before updates stop and really plan out your website changes and updates to ensure they go smoothly and you come out with a much better product.
Additionally, don’t wait until the last minute especially if you are working with a Joomla web design company because the likely hood is they will be overwhelmed with people scrambling to upgrade and it may end up costing you more and taking much longer than expected.